Monday, January 4, 2010

Just Keeping Warm

This sweet female cardinal sat on a branch in wind with gusts of 11 mph in 15 degree weather. It's hard for me to believe that she could keep warm! But she sat there calmly, surveying the scene about her.

Why can't I be calm like that when the fierce winds of life assail me? Why do I get worried or depressed when things look bad?

Maybe it's because I doubt. I forget the Lord's provision.

Matthew 6:26

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"

I put my trust in the wrong place.

Isaiah 26:3
"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you."

I can't believe that things looked great to that cardinal. How could it? The ground is frozen. Plants aren't yielding any seeds or fruit. Those little feet had to be freezing. And yet, maybe things looked great!? God was caring for her. She just had eaten some seed from our feeder and there was more there. And for that moment, she was even safe from enemies.

And I think that's the key. For that moment....

God is teaching me so much through this hobby of photography. I'm taking a closer look at what He has created. He DOES pay attention to the details of the lives He has created. And we created beings can trust Him. He will give us what we need for each moment.

So, in this cold winter day, I'll snuggle up in something warm and bask in the light of God's love and grace.


No comments: